The Kirkwood electrical foundations can be traced back to 1886 when David J. Kirkwood, a steam engineer, migrated to the U.S. from Scotland. Hired as the Chief Engineer by Kilpatrick Bros. & Collins, a coal mining company, He was tasked with designing and managing the power plant and electrical system. To better the illumination and ventilation throughout the mine, David used a mule team to transport a steam turbine and electric-powered dynamo into Wyoming from neighboring Nebraska.
In 1913, Archie Kirkwood took over his father’s role as Chief Electrical Engineer & Supervisor. He served in that capacity until 1928. Over the ensuing years, Archie opened an electrical shop, where he succeeded in electrifying outlying ranches via miles of wooden pole lines.
David Kirkwood founded Kirkwood Electric in 1938, an electrical contracting firm that focused on both residential & commercial contracting as well as repairs.
In 1964, Arch J. Kirkwood bought Kirkwood Electric from his father. Under Arch’s management, the company grew and prospered, developing great relationships with premier builder clients. In 1980, Arch sold Kirkwood Electric to the company’s seven top management personnel.
In 1996, Arch established the second company to bear his family name when he founded A.J. Kirkwood & Associates, Inc. (AJK). In 2001, Arch made the decision to form an Employee-Owned Stock Ownership Program and pass the company along to his employees -– the fifth generation. The company has proudly been employee-owned since 2003.